He's an "infamous" young film expert, he's an entertainment journalist, we're not blinded on his red carpet covers, he interviews big stars and we know him for his straightforward opinions. But did we have more of his personal life? Early this week, I bumped into him on Facebook and grabbed the opportunity to throw in some random questions. He gamely answered everything and let's see how it went.

Describe yourself in three words.
Ben: Passionate. Loyal. Hungry.

What was your first job?
I refereed kids soccer games in Long Island. First job in the industry was as an intern at The William Morris Agency where I am now a client.

How does it feel that your family has been successfully covering pop culture in American media for more than 80 years?
It means a lot to me to be able to work in the same industry as my father, and before him my grandfather. I see it as an honor and great responsibility to carry on their legacy.

Best movie ever watched?
Where do I begin? There are so many to choose from. I don't think I can pick just one. I love the films of Spike Lee, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorcese, Woody Allen, and so many more gifted and talented filmmakers. Best movie I've seen in the last few years that many people aren't familiar with is SIN NOMBRE.

Sundance or Cannes?
Sundance. I've gone for the last 5 years in a row, and I can't imagine not being there. It's the best place to watch movies.


Pretending I'm a filmmaker, how can I receive a good feedback coming from a Ben Lyons?
Good feedback? Make a great movie! That's the easiest way. I review the work on the screen so when it's good, it makes my job a whole lot easier. I think the best way to make a great movie is to be honest with the material. Sometimes filmmakers try and do too much and can become their own roadblock. Be true to yourself, to your vision, and the rest will fall in place.

What's your personal style?
I like to dress comfortably, and appropriate. From sweatpants to suits, I enjoy clothes that fit well and are of high quality.

What's on your iPod?
On my i-pod. Young Jeezy. Black Moon. Talib Kweli. Team Facelift. The LOX. Capone N Noreaga. Clinton Sparks. Kanye West. Mos Def. Jay Z, EPMD, B.I.G., Ali Vegas, The Roots. Common. Nas. The Wu Tang Clan. Chester French. So much Hip Hop!!

Favorite spots in LA and NY?
I like Voyeur, The Dime, Angellini Osteria, Mozza, Joan's on 3rd and M Cafe in LA. NYC I love Trattoria Del Arte, La Caridad, Big Nick's, Cafe Habana, Avenue, Sway, Pub aka Macleers, and so many, many more...

Ben Lyons won't be caught dead watching?
Won't be caught dead watching TMZ...ever

Ben Lyons won't be caught dead wearing?
Won't be caught dead wearing Ed Hardy...ever

0 comments:

Post a Comment